Over a decade, Complaint Handling Information and Advisory Service (CHIAS) has been an inherent and vibrant activity of CUTS, which was commenced as a programme supported by the Consumer Welfare Fund (CWF), Department of Consumer Affairs (DoCA), Government of India in 1998 named as ‘District Consumer Information Cell’ (DCIC). This was even prior to the formal launch of the DCIC scheme in the country by DoCA in 2000.
Looking at the magnitude of responses and successes, even after completion of DCIC field-testing CUTS CART sustained the functioning of the DCIC as CHIAS; contributing towards consumer education and protection, and continued its interventions with own resources. Further, it was analysed in context with European Consumer Centres and found to be suitable in reducing the burden of the District Consumer Forums (DCFs) in India.
The scope and dimension of the CHIAS has expanded, in addition to providing advice to aggrieved consumers and educating the common citizens about their rights as a consumer, constant negotiations with various service providers, informal interface with service utilities and providers, settling the consumers’ disputes, including dealing with the second-generation consumer issues. As a result of such interventions, several complaints are settled directly without approaching the DCFs.
Thus, CHIAS has been activated and incorporated as a activity under “Grassroots Reachout and Networking in Rajasthan through Consumer Action” (GRANIRCA) project in 12 districts of Rajasthan to enhance strong consumer movement at the grassroots in the State by ensuring an enabling environment for protecting consumer’s interests, which will, in turn, would contribute towards the national interest.
Services available at the Consumer Information Centre are:
- Advice on consumer protection related issues and complaints
- Publication of books, pamphlets, magazines and other materials on consumer related issues; and
- Handling consumer complaints through counselling and conciliation for quick and easy redressal.
If you have a consumer complaint and need services from CUTS, provide following details:
2. The nature of your problem (mention briefly with date, name etc. in sequence)
3. Relief required (What do you want)
4. Scan/Copy of the Bill, Voucher etc. as proof
5. Complete Coordinates of the person/agency against whom you have to file a complaint
6. Consumer Complaint Number, if you have already filed a complaint
7. What action you have taken so far and result thereof
8. Name, Address and contacts of complainant
- Success Stories
- Complaint Analysis 2014-15
- Complaint Analysis 2013-14
- Complaint Analysis 2012-13
- Complaint Analysis 2011-12
- Complaint Analysis 2010-11
- Complaint Analysis 2009-10
- Complaint Analysis 2008-09
CUT’ Complaint Handling Information and Advisory Service (CHIAS)
CUTS Centre for Consumer Action, Research & Training (CUTS CART)
D-218 A, Bhaskar Marg, Bani Park,
Jaipur 302 016, India
Tel: +91 141 228 2823/228 2482, 513 3259
Fax: +91 141 401 5395
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com;